Wednesday, December 3, 2008

BEHOLD--The Sucker!!

Today was the first official doctor visit for David here in the USA. As we waited David remained more pleasant and patient than most of the adults.  Once the paperwork was finished, we immediately went in to see the doctor and nurse, who were amazingly helpful and appealing to both David and me. The doctor decided to get started on his next round of shots and take care of some tests for our adoption paperwork. He really enjoyed saying "Chapin" (pronounced Cha-peen; a nickname for Guatemalans) when the friendly technicians took his chest x-ray. He did NOT, however, enjoy the shot or when the the nurses drew his blood. He cried but, afterwards one of the nurses gave him a sucker, so he quickly forgave all involved.


Kyle returned to work this Monday, and while he loves his classes and teaching, he's stated that he loves coming home to a cute little boy who calls him "Daddy" and who talks about him all day. In fact, I love watching Kyle come home--both of their eyes light up when they see each other, and Daddy time with David inevitably includes horseplay, reading, and eating. 


I'm enjoying my time off because I know very soon it will be over, and my "holiday" will disappear. In January, I'll return to teaching and begin rehearsing for our musical, BYE BYE BIRDIE. Until then, David, Daddy & I are playing games, laughing, experiencing "Terrible Two" moments, and trying to finish up all our loose ends and paperwork before reality takes over. David is definitely teaching me more about myself than I am teaching him, and these memories at home with him will always be special to me.

FYI - Spaghetti and kids, while cute, do not go together, so our pasta meals now include larger, easily grasped noodles.

Emily

No comments: