Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holiday Fun

The Thanksgiving break was great and we all enjoyed the food and family visits, but I thought I would share one story in particular.

When we visit my parents in Tulsa, David sleeps on an air mattress in the room with us. The first time he slept there, David got freaked out by a rag doll that my mom had on display on a shelf. Being a good grandma, she now migrates the doll to another room whenever we visit.

Well... we arrived Thanksgiving afternoon and put David down for a nap shortly after lunch. Just a few minutes later David started crying so I went to check on him. When I arrived, he was staring at the shelf and crying. I asked what was wrong, and I got a one word answer, "Bear." I looked up and saw a teddy bear dressed as a soldier (my brother is in the Air Force) on the shelf. I told David it was okay, that the bear was nice, and asked if he wanted to say "hi" to the bear. He answered with a shaky, "Yes," followed be an even more tentative, "Hi, bear," after I picked the bear off the shelf. We both hugged the bear, but David still looked a little unsure.

Not knowing what to do next and not wanting to make mom redecorate the room whenever we come over, I said the first thing that came to my mind. "Now David, the bear wants to go to sleep, but you are being too loud, aren't you?" That seemed to click with David because he said, "Yes," and laid back down. We both wished the bear sweet dreams, and David was asleep shortly afterwards. For the rest of the trip, whenever David woke up, he would say, "Hi," to the bear. What a funny kid!

Kyle

No comments: